MBDA is a leadingdefence organisation that is proud to support our Armed Forces in protectingour nations. We collaborate with governments to achieve a shared goal ofdefending our freedom.
Salary: £18,000 plus a £3,000 joining bonus
Closing date forthis role is midnight on Monday 22nd January
What we can offeryou:
· Fully funded qualification starting September2024
· Fantastic site facilities, includingsubsidised meals and free car parking
· Fully supported learning and developmentprogramme
· Flexible working
· 25 days annual leave (plus up to 15 days flexileave) and additional study leave for exams
Hybrid working pattern: Where possible, we will seek to accommodate ablended approach to on-site and remote working, but this will depend on projectrequirements and the need for access to specific site facilities.
Thereare two streams within the Mechanical Degree Apprenticeship that you may join.We will consider you for both unless you specify an interest in only one withinyour application.
Customer Support Services
CustomerSupport & Services (CSS) has overall responsibility for the definition,development and delivery of support and service packages for all MBDA products,with the aim of continually being able to meet the most demanding of ourcustomers’ requirements.
· Developing and implementing affordableand innovative support solutions covering the entire range of prime equipmentas well as the support equipment, training, documentation, test benches andsimulators required. This is under the control of the ILS Manager who issupported by a range of skills including supportability analysts, logisticsmodellers, technical authors and trainers.
· Maintaining through life the productsupport policy for the MBDA product portfolio, up to and includingdisposal/de-militarisation.
· Providing all required support servicesto our Customers for our in-service products, including ensuring that availabilitylevels are maintained, technical assistance is provided as required, andmodifications and mid-life updates are managed and implemented. This isunder the control of the Product Support Manager, who is supported by a rangeof skills including Field Service Engineers, trainers, fleet planners, assetmanagers and support engineers.
Onthis apprenticeship you’ll complete rotational placements in
· Mechanical/ Electronic Engineering
· Trainingand Field Support Engineering
You’ll gain vast experience of a product lifecycle whichwill provide the foundations on which to build the expertise required todesign, make, and test the next generation of missile system hardware.
This will cover a variety ofMechanical Engineering, including computer aided concept design, simulation andmodelling to hands on testing, manufacture and assembly.
The apprenticeship is designed toeducate and develop engineering foundations from which to grow practical andacademic skills. As experience increases following training on engineeringprinciples and some basic project work, apprentices can expect to tackle morecomplex projects in an increasingly autonomous environment.
Typical placements in this stream caninclude:
· Mechanical Design
· Mechanical FutureConcepts
· Actuation Systems
· Materials andProcesses
Asa Mechanical Engineering apprentice you can expect to gauge an understanding ofmaterial properties and how to utilise their unique characteristics in Engineeringdesign they will also learn how to use industry standard design tools such asCreo Parametric as well as simulation and modelling packages: Altair,HyperMesh, and Ansys.
Thisrole would suit someone with a curiosity in hands on Engineering coupled with acreative and innovative approach to problem solving and well-groundedunderstanding in mathematics and applied sciences. The apprenticeship providesexciting opportunities to work with state of the art technologies and will leadto personal and professional progression to people management, becoming atechnical specialist, project manager, or beyond.
Whicheverfunction you end up joining, you’ll study for BEng (Hons) MechanicalEngineering degree at University of Hertfordshire, for one day a week and theremainder of your working week will be putting in to practice everything you’relearning in a real life environment.
You will study towards a BEng (Hons) in Mechanical Engineeringdegree at The University of Hertfordshire, one day a weekwith the remainder of your working week putting in to practice everythingyou’re learning in a real life environment via your placements. Course deliverywill be a blend of virtual and face to face learning.
Our Apprentices complete a number ofplacements, so that by the end of the four-year programme they have gained abroad overview and can best decide where in the function they would prefer tostart the next phase in their career.
During the third and fourth year thereis the freedom to select placements to suit particular areas of interest anddevelopmental needs, supported by an industrial mentor. In addition, there willbe a great opportunity to do an external placement in another MBDA function orwith an external organisation or an associated MBDA supplier!
During the fourth year the apprenticewill complete an individual research project with the option for this to be anindustry sponsored project in partnership with MBDA.
MBDA will assist in achievingProfessional qualification through the IMechE, IET or RAeS.
Findmore details about the course here: https://www.herts.ac.uk/courses/degree-apprenticeships/engineering-degree-apprenticeship-mechanical
What we’re looking for from you:
Thisrole has specific qualification and subject criteria so please make sure youcarefully check your eligibility against this criteria before applying. We willnot be able to consider applications from anyone that does not meet thefollowing requirements:
· 5x GCSES including Maths & English Language & Science/Technology (allsciences or IT) at Grade 9 – 4
In addition to, 120 UCAS pointsachieved through:
· 3B's or ABC at A level including Maths AND Physics or Technology or anEngineering subject. There is no specific grade requirement for maths.
· BTECLevel 3 Extended Diploma in Engineering at a minimum grade of DDM including aDistinction in Further Maths module.
Pleasenote: We look atentry criteria based on your top three full A Levels or equivalentqualifications (BTEC/T Level). We do not include UCAS points gained from anExtended Project Qualification. Additionally, as an employer we set our ownentry criteria based on the requirements of this role. This means that thecriteria above can differ from the university.
We respect new perspectives and experiences,and we value our collaborative ways of working. We are committed to growing andsupporting diversity in our workforce and ensuring everyone has an equalopportunity to reach their potential.
We recognise that everyone is unique, and weencourage you to speak to us should you require any advice, support oradjustments throughout our recruitment process. We also welcome applicants whoare looking for flexible working arrangements.
Follow us on LinkedIn (MBDA), Twitter(@MBDAcareers), Instagram (lifeatMBDA_UK) and Glassdoor or visit our MBDACareers website for more information.
Please Note: MBDA UK Limited requires all employees to achieve therequired medical and national security clearance for their role. Furtherrestrictions and/or limitations relating to nationality and/or rights to workmay also apply. As a minimum and after offer stage, all successful candidateswill need to undergo HMG Basic Personnel Security Standard checks (BPSS), whichare managed by the MBDA Personnel Security Team.
Due to the nature of our business, this particularvacancy requires the applicant as a minimum to be a British Citizen or a DualUK national with British citizenship and capable of achieving the clearancelevels mentioned above.